Benefits for You
|You don’t have to be a contortionist to benefit from yoga! Anyone can practice yoga and begin leading a healthier, happier and more fulfilled life!Imagine waking up energized, with a clear and calm mind and a body attuned to its greatest potential. Picture creating the life you dream of, enjoying vitality, joy, and self-confidence.We know we have a class or offering to help! Yoga has been shown to heal or improve the symtoms of almost every mental or physical ailment. Let us assist you. Yoga Will:Build strength – both physical and mental
Yoga is a group of ancient practices that originated in India in 5000 BC. The practice of asana or postures in Hatha yoga is the most common form of yoga in the western world. At the very basic level, yoga links body movement with the breath as we flow from one posture to another.
Yoga’s benefits affect each person in a different way. Many find that it helps them to relax; others find themselves feeling healthier and more energetic. All the systems in the body—from the lymphatic to the digestive to the cardiovascular—benefit from yoga. Yoga benefits every aspect of our bodies, inside and out.
On the inside, yoga enables relaxation. Many practitioners find that yoga helps them to focus and feel relaxed in both work and play. In 2003, scientists studied both long-time yogis and beginners; they found that the stress hormone cortisol had decreased, even after just one session of yoga. Yoga has also been found to increase alpha and theta waves in the brain, meaning that yoga can relax the brain and increase access to the subconscious and emotions. And by simply increasing the feel-good brain chemicals like endorphins, enkephalins, and serotonin, yoga practitioners just feel better.
On the outside, yogis look terrific. This is probably from improvements on the inside! Since yoga balances the metabolism and provides exercise, many find yoga brings their body into balance. Physical yoga strengthens and tones the muscles while improving balance and posture. And yoga is a great way to cross-train for other sports; it can ease strains from injuries and increase strength and flexibility.
When all the body’s systems are balanced, yoga practitioners feel healthier and find they want to make other healthy choices in their life.
Read a beautiful article, ‘The Best Hands-On Assisting’ by our very own Katie Callaghan
Balanced Life Yoga vs. The Gym
Often people will ask why they would practice at a studio when they can get yoga for cheaper at the gym. Here are some reasons why you should practice with us:
- You Receive the Best Instruction…
- Balanced Life Yoga requires all teachers to have extensive training. The minimum training we accept is a 200 Hour teacher training certification and we generally hire out of our own high standard training program. All of our teachers have training in yoga postures, yoga history, philosophy, anatomy, physiology, meditation, teaching skills, ethics and more. The training required to teach yoga at a gym is not nearly as extensive and many are in fact fitness teachers who have taken just an afternoon training. At Balanced Life Yoga you are receiving the best instruction which will give you a deeper, more meaningful practice with teachers who walk the talk.
- You Will Be Safe and Cared For…
- At Balanced Life Yoga you will notice our teachers demonstrating but also walking around the room assisting you and ensuring you are aligned correctly and safely. Gym yoga teachers are usually at the front of the room practicing yoga with the students and may not even know how to assist or modify the posture for you. Our teachers know the poses from personal practice (and not just via text book instruction). You will have a safe, enjoyable practice that works for you! You will notice we are also friendly, caring and compassionate which means you will feel welcome and heard rather than feeling like just a number.
- You Will Feel Comfortable…
- Yoga is an individual experience, not a competitive sport. You will never feel pressure in our classes, and students are encouraged to stay within their limits. Balanced Life Yoga teachers also offer variations of many poses for students of different levels and we love beginners! You will never feel intimidated or silly. We welcome everyone!
- Your Home Away from Home…
- At Balanced Life Yoga our studios are an oasis of calm, inspiration and positive energy. The ambiance at a gym will tend to be, well, gym-like. We take great care to provide a relaxing, welcoming environment. We have painted the walls with pleasing colors, we play nice music, light candles and we have a relaxed feeling. We want our studio to be your home away from home. We also love to build community. We learn your name, what you like and how we can help you. We encourage you to relax or to quietly connect with other like-minded people before or after class.
- Payment Structures that Meet Your Needs…
- Unlike gyms who are hoping you will NOT use your membership we actually want you in class and celebrate your practice. We also have a variety of ways to pay for classes and not just a yearly membership that you or may not use. We are also one of the most reasonably priced yoga studios in the GTA.
- Classes Designed for You…
- You’ll find we offer a greater range of classes providing instruction on different levels and styles from Power Yoga to Gentle Yoga and specialty classes such as prenatal yoga and yoga for seniors. We are a multi-disciplinary studio that believes our offerings should meet YOUR wellness and fitness needs. We also offer a variety of class time options.
Give yourself the true experience of yoga at a high quality, affordable, friendly and authentic studio – Balanced Life Yoga. We look forward to seeing you soon – connect with possibility at Balanced Life Yoga!